Sunday, February 1, 2009

R2R, Holopchi


This months challenge was Beet Leaf Holopchi. Our hosts for January were KatBaro of A good Appetite and Giz & Psychgrad of Equal Opportunity Kitchen. I changed up the recipe a little, the original can be found here. I used turnip leaves instead of Beet leaves and stuck some pork chops in the bottom of the pan with the extra turnip leaves. The pork chops turned out so tender and tasty I wish I had snuck a few more in and with the extra turnip leaves it was almost a one pot meal.

I quartered the bread dough and still had enough left over to make a loaf of bread. In the end though I wish I had made more because they were good! Here are the measurements I used.
1 1/8 t instant yeast
2 T warm water
1/4 t sugar
1/2 c scalded milk
1 c warm water
1 T melted butter
2 c flour
1 beaten egg
1/2 T salt
1 t sugar
1 1/2 c flour plus more as needed


The sauce I halved, half of that went on the Holopchi as it was cooking (added after it started to brown) and the rest I added when it was done.

Temper's Take:
I learned alot from this recipe, For example, I like turnip greens, who would have guessed! Also dill, not a favorite herb of mine, was actually very good in this. And the whole pork chop thing turned out so well I am thinking of trying some other variations.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I AM going to make this. My range is broken. Demised. Very aggravating!

Heather B said...

Great idea with the pork chops! Your holopchi look delicious!