Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Rhubarb and Dates

GK: Wouldn't this be a good time for a piece of Rhubarb pie? Yes, nothing gets the taste of shame and humiliation out of your mouth like Bebopareebop Rhubarb Pie.

GK: (SINGS)
One little thing can revive a guy
And that is a piece of rhubarb pie.
Serve it up, nice and hot,
Maybe things aren't as bad as you thought.

ALL:
Mama's little baby loves rhubarb, rhubarb
Beebopareebop Rhubarb Pie.
Mama's little baby loves rhubarb, rhubarb
Beebopareebop Rhubarb Pie.
Beebopareebop Rhubarb Pie.
~~A Prairie Home Companion with Garrison Keillor


Yes I love Rhubarb in all its incarnations. And apparently so do food bloggers everywhere. My problem is they have it and I don't. It doesn't grow here in TX and the stuff you buy frozen or they ship to the stores is horrible. I once broke down and asked my family in Iowa to send me some. They laughed and told me no. Bastards.

My other favorite fruit is Dates. Now I haven't checked to see if they grow in TX but I have a feeling that we are a bit to cool and to wet. But since everyone else had to buy their dates too I don't feel so bad. I love dates but periodically I get freaked out by their resemblance to roaches, that shiny, slick surface that is brown black and oily looking. blech. When that happens I get the prechopped ones and carry on as usual.

Some where in all this is a point. I am not real sure where but I know it is there. It might be people who don't share their rhubarb are evil, or that dates are worth the squick factor. But I have a feeling that the point is my favorite fruits are alot of trouble and I am therefore deprived!

2 comments:

Lori said...

wow - you have been baking and cooking up a storm!

I love rhubarb and how rude of them not to send it.

Medea said...

i loooove cooking as much as i love living..
my moyfriend is chef jeje thanks Gos we have learn form each other jkejejejeje
But i dont know this Ruibarb.. i live in the caribbean it looks like a celery from the cold places..

My boyfriend tells me it hasa wonderful taste.. tell em about riubarb?
Love your blog!!!