Wednesday, May 21, 2008
Blueberry Drop Cookies
BLUEBERRY DROP COOKIES
* One-half cup shortening
* 1 cup sugar
* 1 egg
* One-fourth cup milk
* One-half teaspoon almond extract
* One and one-half teaspoons grated lemon zest
* 2 cups all purpose flour
* 2 teaspoons baking powder
* One-half teaspoon salt
* 1 cup blueberries, rinsed and picked over
1. In a large mixing bowl, cream the shortening, sugar, egg, milk, almond extract and lemon zest, mixing well after the addition of each ingredient. Slowly add the flour, baking powder and salt. Fold in the blueberries and mix until well blended.
2. Cover and chill for 4 hours. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Drop the dough by teaspoonfuls, one and one-half inches apart onto greased cookie sheets. Bake 12 to 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool for a few minutes before removing them with a spatula.
Makes about 4 dozen.
Notes By Temper.
Thoughts while baking...Pure almond extract may smell good but you really don't want to try it. Also Ammaretto is not an adequate substitute (darn it). I have always wondered when you zest a lemon what are you suppose to do with the rest of it? Are big blueberries better then little blueberries and when cooking with blueberries should you try to use ones that are all of a simular size?
After Baking... I loved the almond lemon flavor of the cookie, but since I am not a huge fan of blueberries this is not a recipie I will probably make again (besides blueberries are darn expensive). Though I must say the blueberries weren't that bad in these. I only got 3 dozen cookies from the recipe and they weren't big ones either. It would be nice to include color refrences for doneness since not all ovens are created equal. Mine were a little pale but the bottoms were nicely golden.
Day 2 the cookies got alot better, the blueberry taste wasn't as distinct and it all melded together beautifuly. If blueberries were cheaper I would probably make them again.
Notes from Indra (copied from AIM).
hmm taste good. a little more lemon than i like though i see why to balance the blue berries...texture and color are different... like eating a dense crumbly muffin but not....strange
Baked for the Cookie Carnival.