Wednesday, May 27, 2009

DB: Apple Strudel!

The May Daring Bakers’ challenge was hosted by Linda of make life sweeter! and Courtney of Coco Cooks. They chose Apple Strudel from the recipe book Kaffeehaus: Exquisite Desserts from the Classic Cafés of Vienna, Budapest and Prague by Rick Rodgers.

Pictures are coming this weekend, I killed my computer with all the pictures on it on Monday and won't have time to fis it until then.

Ok, this is one of those dishes I would not in a million years have guessed I could actually do. I am not known for my delicate touch or dexterity. So, if I can do it so can you!

The recipe can be found HERE. It is a long one but once you break it down really easy to do.

The dough has four ingredients (one is Water)and can be mixed by hand easily. The filling is as complicated as you make it, sliced apples cinnamon / sugar and raisins soaked in brandy is all the original recipe calls for. Or create your own goodness (I did a chocolate cherry jam one for variety). Throw in some browned bread crumbs and you are set.

The actual stretching of the dough went pretty well, there where some holes but nothing too major and I got it pretty darn thin. But I think next time I am going to play with the flour vs liquid ratios a little since my dough was stickier than I was happy with.

Temper's Take:
First of all let me say OH MY GOD chocolate cherry strudel is Luscious! This is a taste combination i will be playing with again. The apple was also good, I used dried cherries instead of raisins and it definitely worked fine. Next time I may use more.

The crust out of the oven was fine light crisp and layery, the humidity soon fixed that though and while still good it was not quite as flaky. The two issues I had was I used to many bread crumbs and for some reason my bottoms where a little overcooked making them tough.

Make again? Definitely, though I will be changing things up and maybe trying some individual sizes.

3 comments:

NKP said...

Mmm, chocolate cherry jam strudel sounds divine!

Holly said...

It was a great challenge - I'm looking forward to your photos!

Manabird said...

Great read thankyouu